Friday, July 26, 2013

Summer of the Birds

While I was snoozing and snuggling Jude in my bed this morning, there was a tap on my window.  Hank was holding this little bird.

The little bird had flown into our window and was stunned.  After a few minutes it seemed to regain its senses and started flapping its wings.  Before it flew away though, Hank spotted a different kind of bird in the yard.  Eva went over and picked it up (our first clue that something wasn't quite right--it didn't fly away from her). 

In other bird news, our friend Dinah has been raising abandoned swallows.  She has had them since they were featherless, presumably just a couple days old.  She cares for them like her babies, bringing them everywhere she goes.  They are about 2 1/2 weeks old here.



We also have friends who have been caring for and raising kestrel chicks.  Sorry, I don't have any pictures of those colorful raptors!  Perhaps I'll have to have part II of this post later.

No comments: